I Am Not a Feminist

When, on popular TV, they show an abortion, saying "here, try this out, it'll make your life better."

When they say to us that we can be as promiscuous as can be because that will give us freedom

When, in every clothing store, the skirts get higher and the shirts get lower.

When, with magazines and blockbuster movies, they tell me what I'm worth.

When they say it doesn't matter what I wear, because I'm not the one responsible for wandering eyes.

When they tell me dressing modestly means I'm shaming someone else.

When, with catchy slogans and campaign promises, they fight against the 'war on women.'

When those who flaunt their bodies and shout their abortions are lauded across social media...

I am not a feminist.

There's no escaping the propaganda that speaks to women, telling them to defy the limits that have been put on us. Wear whatever you want, demand equal pay, equal rights, equal jobs, have sex whenever you want with whomever you please, demand to be heard, no matter who you hurt. They say to push the blame onto men and republicans, who take away 'reproductive rights.' "These are the ones waging war on us!" they cry on the screen and in every news stand.

Wear whatever you want, be whoever you want to be. You don't need anyone else. You can be strong and independent, no man can tell you what you can and can't be. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are attacking you and your freedom.

They demand that they not be objectified by men, even if what they wear cuts low and high, leaving little to the imagination, even if they treat men the same way they claim men treat them. They criticize commitment and intention, they reject modesty because it's oppressive. They wage war on dress codes and marriage. They claim they fight for equality, but the very name is unbalanced.

If this is what feminism is, I want no part.

My worth, my identity is not based on what other people think of me. Being a girl makes me different from being a boy, but it doesn't make me less than. Salaries and skinny jeans and someone trying to shame something doesn't change who I am, and it doesn't change who you are.

These women that fight for "equality" are actually fighting for a sense of self worth. They say they want respect, when all they want is love and affirmation. They want to be good enough, to be worthy. They fear being treated as less-than because that is how they feel. Every word spoken in opposition is a personal attack against the foundation on which they've built security.

But their foundation is the sand of the shore, and when the tide comes in, their self-worth and their confidence fall.

I am not a feminist because I know where where my worth comes from. I know why men and women are equal, and it has nothing to do with careers, slut walks, or sexual liberation. I refuse to be a victim just because someone says I am. Worth doesn't come from curvy legs or skinny waists, or confidence in those things.

Dear girl, your worth isn't found in being wrapped up in an well-paying career, or showing off your body, or the affirmation of any person but one. Just one.

Your Savior says you are worthy. Worth living for, worth dying for. Not because of anything you've done, not because of anything I've done, but because He loves us. That is the foundation of our worth. And so instead of making ourselves out to be the victims, God allows us to be the victors.

When Jesus was on earth, he treated everyone with the same respect and love and kindness, men, women and children. From the rich young man, to the middle-aged, romantically challenged Samaritan woman at the well, to young children. Jesus was concerned with love before equality. Because, without love, we have nothing.

Maybe when feminism becomes about loving and respecting all people, I'll change my mind. But until then, I am not a feminist. That's what's up.

>hg<

Comments