grace || a poem

(friday morning, april 12)

6:00am is soft and grey and music
a morning without pressure,
only to breathe and be
present. Rain and spring are tied together
here. But I know:
a harsh winter doesn’t promise a mild summer. 
As the cold in my bones thaws,
no one can promise easy.

Meredith sings along and
maybe this is grace—
daring to sing before sunrise.

There is no perfection here.
This is so much more.

Here is songs in the dark
with rattle heartbeats,
holding each other with earthquake hands

The storms and
the drought and
the ice come, and 
most of the time I don’t understand.
The older I get,
the more confused I am.
How is this God’s will for me?
Where is hope when I’m not sure I want a future?

But here is morning and coffee
with struggle turned pretty
by facing the dawn.

And no, I don’t know how to keep going.
I don’t know how to say “I love you” without stuttering
or if I will every truly feel the sun again.
But I am trying,
and today I know
this is enough.

Comments