Sanctuary

Sanctuary

it must be me.
the verses are there,
this room is called “sanctuary” for a reason,
with glass as stained as me
depicting a savior as anxious as me.

whom shall i fear?
of whom shall i be afraid?

i don’t know
and it’s not important.
i’m still shaking
trying to be still and
no matter what
i don’t know who He is.

God, you say that darkness is as light to you
but i can’t see my hands in front of my face.
i’m swimming in shadows,
used the last of my oxygen cursing myself. 
and i’m afraid of what i’ll see if i turn on the lights

this sin demands payment in blood so i pour myself out.
i am the one who deserves these lines carved over and over
yet you are well acquainted with pain and panic
you have seen the earth you created stained with your fear
you are scarred with the reminder of all the weight you chose to carry
because somehow, you love me
you named the worthless worth dying for.

now i look in the mirror, at ribs painted red with shame and inked black with grace,
and i still can’t see the stars for the night

i am thirsty in a salt-water sea
if grace is an ocean, i am drowning
i have tasted and seen that the Lord is
gone. you redeemed me and sold me back
you forgave and gave away.

where is my identity when i can’t find you?
where is your rescue when anxiety steals my cries for help?
all i have are these answers
everything i used to know crumbling on the rocks.
all i have are these questions:
how will i ever be enough?

but, Lord, i can see the glass
the image of you next to red-stained grass
you sweat blood so i wouldn’t have to 
you are teaching me to sing in the dark

but this i know with all my heart
his wounds have paid my ransom.

Comments